When someone robs your phone or you just misplace it somewhere, the first thing that comes to mind is all your personal things are out there somewhere at the hands of a stranger. You try every way to track it, report and get it back but, meanwhile what about your “Whatsapp Account?”
The most used messaging application worldwide, Whatsapp, has all your exchanged media and chats which is easily accessible to a stranger. Unfortunately, deleting or deactivating your WhatsApp account using the internet is not possible and which can only be performed through your registered Whatsapp SIM number. Thus, it is vital to retrieve your sim card to ensure that no one uses your WhatsApp account. Also, SIM card locking alone cannot save your personal information. So, what is the solution?
To stay on the safe side, the wise thing to do is to deactivate your Whatsapp account if your phone is lost or stolen.
How to Deactivate Sim Card?
Step #1. Report the loss of your sim card to your network service provider.
Step #2. Request to lock your SIM card.
Step #3. After the card is locked, your account will become inaccessible.
(Note: If you have your phone’s IMEI code, you can also request the company to lock the device itself.)
Fortunately, you can still have your Whatsapp account with the same SIM card or phone number by placing a request for replacement to your network provider. After that, log in again with your previous credentials, your previous account will be retrieved. By doing so, your Whatsapp account on your old phone will become inaccessible to the stranger since you can only use WhatsApp on a single device at a time.
How to Deactivate a Whatsapp Account?
Step #1. Write an email message to email@example.com
Step #2. Mention email subject line: “Phone stolen/lost: Please disable my account.”
Step #3. Provide them your phone number in the full international format, eventually they will disable your account.
Following are few Essential points regarding deactivated accounts:
- When your account is deactivated, it is not completely deleted.
- While your account is deactivated, your name will be still visible on your contacts’ Favorites list (Contacts tab on Android). They will be able to send you messages, which will remain in a pending state for up to 30 days.
- If you reactivate your account before it is deleted, you will receive all those pending messages on your new phone and you will also be there in all of your group chats.
- If a deactivated account is not re-activated within 30 days, it will get deleted completely.
In a nutshell
We share every bit of our personal information on Whatsapp nowadays. If such a medium falls into wrong hands, the damage is beyond imagination. So, if your phone gets stolen or lost, deactivate your Whatsapp account as soon as possible.
- How to Download Someone’s WhatsApp Status Video on Android, iPhone
- How to Pin WhatsApp Chat on Android and iPhone
- How to Delete Wrongly Sent WhatsApp Message on Android and iPhone