There are several reasons why I like Android so much. With easy-to-use UI, a lot of highly advanced features like OK Google and more significantly; user-friendly design, it is by far the most popular mobile OS in the world.
A couple of days ago, I got an error called ‘Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped‘ on my Android smartphone while making a few changes in the Settings. Fortunately, I was able to fix the error with some, handy tricks.
If you have also encountered the same problem on your Android device, check out these smart tricks to troubleshoot this issue right away.
How to Fix Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped
Solution #1 to fix Google Play Services Has Stopped
Restart your device
On numerous occasions, I have been able to fix some minor issues just by rebooting my device.
Press and hold the Power button on your device, and when the menu appears on your device tap on Restart.
Wi-Fi and Mobile data
Ensure that there is proper internet connection on your device.
Go to Settings → turn Wi-Fi or Mobile data off and then back on.
Solution #2 to fix Google Play Services Has Stopped
Clear Google Play Services cache and data
Step #1. Go to Settings → Tap on Apps (There will be Manage Apps, App Manager or Applications on some Android devices)
Step #2. Locate Google Play Services and tap on it.
Step #3. Now, tap on Force Stop and finally tap on Clear Cache.
- Open Settings on your device.
- Tap on Apps.
- Tap on Google Play Services and then tap on Clear Data.
Solution #3 to fix Google Play Services Has Stopped
Remove Google Services Framework cache and data
Step #1. Go to Settings on your device and tap on Apps.
Step #2. Tap on Google Framework
Step #3. Click on Force Stop.
Step #4. Click on Clear Cache.
If it doesn’t solve the issue, you will need to clear data as well. (Settings → Apps → Google Services Framework → Clear Data.)
Solution #4 to fix Google Play Services Has Stopped
Remove Google Play Store cache and data
Step #1. Go to Settings and tap on Apps.
Step #2. Click on Google Play Store.
Step #3. Tap on Force Stop.
Step #4. Tap on Clear Cache.
Clear Data (Following the above-mentioned steps), if it doesn’t resolve the issue.
Change the language
Some users who had run into this problem were able to fix by changing the language. Head over to Settings → Language & Input → Languages, and select English (United Kingdom) from the list.
Reset app preferences
Resetting app preferences have done the trick for several users to fix error “Unfortunately Google Play Services Has Stopped” including me. Hopefully, it clicks for you as well.
- Go to Settings and tap on Apps.
- Next up, you have to tap on three lines from the top-right corner to open the menu.
- Tap on Reset app preferences followed by Reset apps.
Disable Location Services
Go to Settings → Location services and turn it off.
Remove Google Account and Re-add It
- Open Settings and tap on Accounts.
- Locate your Google account, tap on it.
- Tap on Remove. Now, you have to go back to Settings → Accounts and tap on Add Account.
- Type your Gmail username and password.
Change the password
A few users, who had encountered this issue, reported that changing the password of their Gmail account solved the problem for them.
Solution #5 to fix Google Play Services Has Stopped
Update Google Play Services
Make sure you have the latest version of Google Play Services on your device. Open Settings → Apps → tap on Google Play Services → tap on “Uninstall Updates”. Now, install the newest version on your device.
- Deactivate Google Play Services. (Settings → device administrators → Deactivate Android Device Manager.)
- Uninstall Google Play Services. (Settings → Application Manager → Google Play Services → uninstall updates.
- Use any app that will require Google Play Services. You will be prompted to install the Services.
- After you have reinstalled the latest version, activate Android Device Manager. Settings → Security → Device Administrators.
- Finally, you need to reboot your device.)
Solution #6 to fix Google Play Services Has Stopped
Factory data reset
If all the above-mentioned solutions haven’t been able to solve the problem of Google Play Services Has Stopped, then you need to do factory data reset. Make sure to backup your data before going ahead with the process.
It will delete all your files, personal settings, and third-party apps and your device will be set to its factory settings.
Step #1. Open Settings on your device.
Step #2. Scroll down and tap on Backup and Reset.
Step #3. Tap on Factory data reset and tap on Reset device.
You may also read: How to Fix Google Play Store Error 927